University of Manitoba, Robson Hall Plaza
The University of Manitoba was established in 1929 in the Fort Garry area of Winnipeg. Today, many of the faculty buildings are in need of refurbishment, both inside and out. The Faculty of Law building, Robson Hall, which dates to 1969, was one of the buildings that required an upgrade to both exterior entrances.
Creating a place for gathering, discussion, arbitration - the refreshed plaza design looked to mimic the auditorium-style seating from the existing interior Moot court setting. The scope of the project included the replacement of the structural paving slabs at the west entrance plaza and softscaping improvements at the east. The goal was to create a formal sense of arrival, providing integrated seating and gathering space for students and staff. The design included a new poured-in-place structural slab, plantings and a custom-tiered bench system with integrated planters.